Water pump done - not too bad actually

Probedude probedude@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:57:36 -0800

Did the water pump replacement today.  Took 4 hours total including 30 mins to
prep the surfaces and get them clean. I didn't need to remove the right front
tire (turned it all the way to the right, did not need to remove the power
steering reservoir or power steering cooler (though they were unbolted to push
them out of the way.  The only PITA was I couldn't find my 12mm wrench for the
power steering belt adjuster.

To make life easier I removed the cast iron bracket that the front motor mount
bolts to on the engine front - gave me more room up top and much better visual
access  plus I could now get a torque wrench in there to tighten things up
later. I also removed the lower pivot bolt from the power steering pump which
allowed me to completely remove the power steering pump and its bracket out of
the way so I had a clean shot at installing the new pump.  Having a nice
hydraulic floor jack also allowed me to raise or lower the engine to get to
whatever bolts I needed to easier.  Also having air tools helped get things
apart really fast.