Found my dream Nissan

Jim Crate jcrate@deepskytech.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:25:44 -0500

>> You do, its a 240SX. (S14/S15 Silvia)

> b) Ours never had an SR20DET, we got KA24DE truck engines.

At least they didn't just give it an SR20DE.  That would have been even
worse.  It is too bad we didn't get the SR20DET, but they can be put in
after the fact without a great deal of trouble.  It's also too bad we didn't
get the Pulsar GTI-R, and the other AWD/SR20DET platforms.

BTW, you may be interested to know that the QR25DE is even more like a truck
engine than the KA24DE.  Power output is even lower in the rpm band, and the
rev limit is lower.  The 100mm stroke will probably limit the revs it can
reach.  Looks more like an economy engine for the Altima (where it was first
available in the US)...

And finally, I guess the SR20VET qualifies as a truck engine too,
considering its usage in the X-Trail.  Did it ever come in anything else?

> c) Ours *surely* never had a 6-speed transmission.

Rumors are that the 6-speed gets replaced with a 5-speed for high-powered
cars. I don't know if this is true or not.  However, the 6-speed was new for
the S15, which didn't come to the US at all.

> d) Ours had wimpy brakes from a 180SX.

254mm x 22mm brakes aren't exactly wimpy on a 2700 lb car, although it
wouldn't hurt them to be bigger.  They are capable of working well for
extended periods of time on a race track if properly prepped (a requirement
for *any* brakes to work well for extended periods of time on a race track).
Mine were reported to be glowing in the braking zone at one track event.
Not a hint of fade...

If that's not good enough for you, 300ZX front brakes are a pretty simple
upgrade.  I seem to hear stuff about SE-Rs wanting NX2000 brakes from time
to time too, so that's not exactly a unique situation.

Jim Crate
91 240SX SE waiting for 8+ hours of Roebling Road one weekend coming soon!
86 BMW 535i
http://www.the-crates.net/cars/index.html