What to do w/a sickly 130K '91 SE-R

Pat Stafford ppstaff1@excite.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:24:26 -0800 (PST)

Shift points are usually 3500-3700, and on the freeway I usually run between
70-80mph (3400-3700).

I have heard that about the sludge.  Very bizzare.  Always new the engine
was a little high strung & thought I catered to its needs quite well.

Rest of the car is sweet.  Can't forsee any other significant problems.

You know where I could get a new/rebuilt SR20DE for $500-850?!  I priced em
thru Courtesy Nissan & they want "$4743.06 + S&H"!  Ouch!  Wassupwitdat?

I'm in Renton, WA (Seattle area).  Any ideas?
Thank you for the feedback.

P@

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:11:11 -0500, geo3@earthlink.net wrote:

>  Pat Stafford <ppstaff1@excite.com> wrote:

>  >I have a '91 SE-R w/130K.  Has the 5th gear pop-out problem, burnt cam
lobes & lifters due to a blocked oiler tube, and much black tar buildup in
the oil system.  I purchased this car new, changed the oil religiously @
3000mi, and used it mostly for freeway commuting.

>  Out of curiosity, how often would you say you get the rpms above 3500?
>  It's strange how some cars get crappy inside and others don't.  Some
folks couldn't believe the varnish that was in the engine I rebuilt.  It had
Mobil 1 every 3k miles per the original owner.  He's a friend and I believe
him.

>  The black sludge is due to heat I'm sure.  I've often wondered if some
SR20s run hotter than others for some unknown reason.

>  >Should I dump the $4,000+ ($2600 for head rebuild/$900 for trans work,
$160 AAC valve, + some other misc stuff) into it for repairs (unfortunately
I haven't the facilities or time to do it myself), or cut my losses....

>  Well, if the rest of the car is in pretty good shape, I'd repair it.  It
all depends upon the condition of the rest of the car.

>  You can get imported engines for anywhere from $500-850 and used
gearboxes for roughly $500.  I'll bet you can find someone to install the
two for under $1000.

>  Where are you located?

>  George Roffe

>  mail2web - Check your email from the web at
>  http://mail2web.com/ .

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com