Cold start probs with a 93 Infiniti G20

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:53:08 -0600

Ted Graham wrote:

>What is "dry gas"?

IIRC, it's basically methanol to keep any water that might be in the gas
from freezing.

>Seems like flooding is the opposite of a blocked line.

Unless the injectors are spitting.

>What does a carburetor have to do with the first mechanic's response?  Is
>holding the throttle 1/3rd open something you do with a carb?

Yep.

>I have never replaced the cap, rotor or wires.  Could problems there be
>causing the flooding?  Or problems there cause a weak spark, which fails
>to start the car, which leads to flooding?

Bingo.  It's been 6 years since I've had to deal with that crap, thank
God.  Extreme cold can cause all sorts of problems, especially with older
parts.

>Is there any way to check for bad injectors?

I seriously doubt your injectors are bad.  Ours rarely go bad, although it
has happened from time to time.  But, in your case, all 4 would have to be
bad I think.

>Would bad or dirty injectors squirt liquid gas into the cylinder instead
>of a gas/air vapor?  Then that causes flooding?

They would squirt instead of atomize the fuel, preventing it from mixing
properly with the intake air.  That could happen for a lot of reasons when
things get extremely cold.  I'd start with the ignition components
though.  Since it runs fine when garaged, I tend to suspect ignition.

>Finally, once it is flooded, if holding the throttle down and cranking
>doesn't start it, is there something else I can do?

You can wait.  Or you can use "starting fluid."

>I've heard of "starting fluid", but I don't know when or how to use it.

It's ether.  It's *highly* flammable and can tend to help your car start
when things go wrong.  Needing to use it generally signals something else
is wrong though.  But, it can help get the car going enough to stay
running.  It also tends to absorb water (IIRC).  This would help with the
initial combustion process.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>