Possible high rate, OEM type spring deal

Benjamin Moses bmoses@purdue.edu
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:43:41 -0500

Holy Sh*t!  I had no idea these things were going on!  I would almost be
willing to buy a set just on basic principle!  I had no idea Richard was
gone either.  Chris is right when he talks about Richard not wanting to
budge an inch.  I probably threw three or four really good pitches about
our communities need for a higher rate spring, but he wouldn't buy it.
There's only so much one can do.  Anyway, this is very interesting.
Seeing as how I'm not a full time race car driver *yet* :) I can't
really commit to buying a set of springs for my car, especially since I
have no job or income yet, but I will be keeping close tabs on what's
going on!

-Ben (former Hyperco deals guy)

<<I spoke to Kelly at Hypercoils a few weeks ago about making 300/200
springs.
Remember when your buddy Ben prototyped their springs and everyone was
screaming to get them to make a 300/200 set? The guy who Ben was dealing
with at the time (Ricard? - who is no longer there) absolutely refused
to do
it. Anyway, Kelly turns out to be a real good guy, and we had a nice 15
minute conversation. What it boils down to is this - At the time they
made
the SE-R springs, they were all set to get into the consumer end of the
market, their core business is "Real Race Cars", but decided against it
under advisement of their lawyers due to possible liability issues.

As of a few weeks ago Hyperco was waiting for the 2002 rules to be
released
by the various race sanctioning bodies they mak e springs for. Once
they're
finalized, Hyperco goes balls to the walls to produce the springs for
next
season. Kelly actually told me that if I had contacted him a few months
ago,
they would have seriously considered making a run of 300/200's. I just
about
flipped when he said this, and gave him the whole story about how
Richard
wouldn't even consider it. Kelly said that if they had a break in the
action
over there, he'd give me a call and see if they could squeeze in a run.
As a
matter of fact, ten minutes after our conversation, he called me back to
ask
if we wanted linear or progressive rate springs. I told him linear, and
he
said that would actually make things easier for them.

Right now may be a good time to see how much *serious* interest exists
between this list, and your forum for these springs.
I've got a note to myself here to get back to Kelly, maybe I'll do it
today
and see what happens.>>