Numerically LOWER Final Drive?

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 8 10:49:16 CDT 2008

Greg Amy wrote:
>> Come to think of it 5th is the only gear on the input shaft
>> that is swappable.

Yeah, that's what I was remembering from the one time I actually tore
one apart.  But looked on the FSM to be sure, and that's correct.

> Yup! That's why I'd rather just do 5th, if I can find a good ratio. The G20 5th you note above isn't really worth the effort all by itself; it'll only drop the revs 100 RPM at 70 mph. Unfortunately, running both the final drive and the 5th from the G20 only drops it 200 revs...what would be nice to find is a 5th in the .67-.68 range...

Dang!  Is that all?!  Yeah... hardly worth it.I'd been curious about
that for years but never did the math.  Disappointing.

Hey -- does anyone want a bunch of transmission stuff FREE?  Available
for local pick up only outside Asheville, NC  (Calum has been here, but
you don't ~have~ to be a genius to find it):
* B13 tranny, working fine, car wreck punched a hole in the outer case.
  Just weld it up and run it.
* B13 tranny, 3rd gear exploded.  Good for case and misc parts but I
wouldn't use any gears out of it.
* B13 tranny parts, minus case.  Good condition, about 25K miles on it,
lots of assembly required.

   -Wayne