SE-R Replacement

Mark Holden mark at mnautosport.com
Fri Feb 15 11:58:39 CST 2008

When I moved on from my B13 SE-R in 2002 I test drove a B15 SE-R.
Absolutely hated it.

Bought a WRX instead, and then a year and a half later bought a "new" '91
B13 SE-R because I missed it so much (and it's a lot cheaper to fix when I
beat on it on dirt and ice).  The WRX is still a great car 6 years later,
though it will probably go in the next 1/2 year to be replaced with a Maxima
(growing family and I have the B13 for fun).

The 2.0L WRX isn't that torqueless at low RPMs, it just seems that way
because of how much the torque jumps when the turbo really kicks in.  Also,
a very mildly tuned re-flash to the ECU and it gets really good.  The
2.5Lis of course, stronger, both down low and up high.

The WRX and the EVO aren't really cars in the SE-R vein anyhow, they're
really the descendants of the Mitsu Eclipse and the Mazda 323GTX and the
Celica All-Trac.

If I was looking to recapture the feel of the SE-R in a new car, I'd be
looking hard at the Mazda 3.

-Mark Holden
'91 Nissan Sentra SE-R RallyCross/Stage Rally Course Opening/Ice Racing car
'93 Chevy K1500 - Work truck, tow vehicle
'02 Subaru WRX Daily driver
'05 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Wife's Daily driver