Your tire choice

Lisa Hlava lmhlava at mac.com
Thu Mar 9 07:38:54 CST 2006

I've run the ES100s for almost 3 years, and it's time to replace
them... they're down to 2/32's. I really liked the tire. It's a good
street tire, nice ride, a little noisy, good grip in the dry and wet. I
used them for one track event, '05 convention, and they actually did a
pretty good job. No chunking, splitting or even that "greasy" feel you
get when the tires have gotten too hot.

I'd have no problem buying another set, but I want to try something a
little different. Tirerack has a new review on the replacement for the
S-03, I believe it's called the Potenza Poleposition 0050A. In that
test, they ran that tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, the Goodyear
GS-D3(?), and the older S-03. All 3 of the newer tires out performed
the S-03... by quite a bit. But, they do not make any of the 3 newer
tires in a 15" size. So, after some searching, and talking with an
autocrosser(Brian Cembor), I've decided to give the Kumho Ecsta MX a
try. They're only $80 at tirerack, about the same as the ES100s... I
paid a lot more for the 100s nearly 3 years ago.

I live in Florida, it's always Summer here;)

Peace,
Mark

P.S.  I was also tempted to get a set of Azeni 615's. While I was
searching around, I found a place that had them in 205/50/15 for $70