CA Bushing pt2

Fastenal GADEC gadec@stores.fastenal.com
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:03:04 -0500

well, saturday got under the car to put the passenger side CA bushings in. all
was going well.. got the arm off, burned/cut the big bushing off. then took to
NAPA to press out/in the swivel bushing. come back an hour later and they
broke thier press trying to get it done. guess i'm FUBAR'd at that point...
so go up to Ace to try Bill's 1/2 carriage bolt drift thingy.. didn't work.
broke the 1/2 washers trying to pound out.
call my buddy (who just bought a '95 G20 btw)to use his press on the other
side of town. he comes over to pck me up and decides we need to drive out to
Villa Rica (abt 45min away) to machine a punch. so.. he gets a scrap piece of
hardened steel and machines a custom punch for me. i take a 12lb hammer and a
put the arm on a peice of oak and let go at it. it took about 4-5 ax chop-type
swings to knock the little sleeve out. get the bushings in and back home and
re-installed in 30min. *hopefully* i won't have to worry abt them again!
so.. if anyone is doing a control arm bushing swap let me know. i have a
custom punch i will send for the cost of shipping.
brian
92 SE-R
p.s. i'll try to post a picture of the punch.