5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:42:23 -0500

First of all we found the other half of the clip! It was behind the shifting
mechanism in a little valley.

Larry wrote:
> Regarding your transmission overall, with the damage to the input
> shaft, the damage to the case, perhaps you should just get a used
> tranny, open it up and give it a refreshing if necessary, and use that.

Perhaps. We disassembled more this afternoon and took many photos. Please
take a look here:
http://www.talley-stroud.com/thomas/RS5F32V/

5th gear engagement teeth are not so worn as normally seen, but some of the
tips are *torn*. Bad.

I have seen pics of the brass baulk ring and 5th gear from others that
looked really really worse than mine though. Here's a question: Why can't
you just flip the coupling sleeve over and reuse it? I obversed that the
teeth 'heads' are not used on the topside and the part looks to be the same
on both sides. In any event, if I decide to procede with this tranny all of
5th components will be replaced.

The deciding factors for me reside with 2 parts. The cover (which upon
further inspection really does seem very stout and usable) and the input
shaft. The input shaft 'race' could be lightly polished as the fingernail
tip just barely catches in 2-3 places BUT the clip took a little chunk from
the side. Now my theory is that I can just turn the clip so that the torn
area is not a factor as the clip does not rotate after installed I imagine.

The clip well.... went through hell to put it mildly. It is burnt, bent,
torn, and scored all over. All evidence of that happened or how the failure
occured is erased from the events afterwords.

I feel the tranny can be completely cleaned of all debris and reassembled
with just a few new parts. Costs skyrocket if the cover and input shaft have
to be replaced though....

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo