5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:15:14 -0500

On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 09:42  PM, Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> Why can't you just flip the coupling sleeve over and reuse it? I
> obversed that the
> teeth 'heads' are not used on the topside and the part looks to be the
> same
> on both sides.

If I remember correctly, you can, but the part will wear out very
quickly.  I remember some folks that had their 5th gear fixed at shops
had this done, and they were right back there again not that many miles
later.

I think that Larry had an explanation for this, maybe hell chime in.
But its somewhere in the archives, though it could take a while to
track down that particular tidbit.