B15 Brake Problems

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:16:26 -0500

I touched on this yesterday, thought I should say something in summary.

There was a TSB issued on some B15 SE brakes, though I don't know about
production dates.  I can only assume that since XE/GXE and SE cars use
different brake hardware that this only affects SEs.  The whole thing
confuses me, since we're supposed to use the same pads that the '93-97
Altima (U13) uses.  Hmm...

Anyway, my passenger front brake system showed these attributes:

 - The inside pad was very thin for only having 15k miles.
 - The outside pad looked a normal thickness.
 - The inside rotor surface was glass-smoth; smoother than normal.
 - The outside rotor surface was heavily grooved.
 - The caliper would float easily with finger pressure with pads
retracted.

To fix this, my Nissan dealership had to special-order a new set of pads
for me.  It took about a week for the new pads to make it to our "Central
Plains" location, YMMV.  They pulled my rotors off of the car (both),
turned them (both), and replaced all four pads.  I'm a pretty happy
camper at this point.  I was so happy that I went for a long drive and
bedded the pads before coming home.

I *really* like the fact that they pulled my rotors off of the car to
turn them.  I don't know why, but those on-car turning machines just
don't feel right to me.  On the down side, he turned them with a dull
bit, and left a visible step on my rotor.  Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose
have nothing to fear from this guy's machining skills. ;)

--
-=|JP|=-               Cheap, Fast, Reliable; Pick any Two.

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.cardomain.com/id/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net        |