18 years ago (another perspective)

John Heer johnheer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:55:44 UTC 2019

To my favorite email list:

I'll add my 2 cents - I was camping in the Adirondacks (Wanakena -
Cranberry Lake) on 9/11, and I didn't know anything had happened until
later that evening when one of my camping buddies kayaked into Wanakena for
some milk. He didn't come back for several hours, and we couldn't figure
out why. When he finally came back, he was telling us what he had seen on
the TV in the town general store, and we refused to believe him. We
eventually realized that even he (a known prankster) would not stoop so low
to lie about such a thing. Then, we saw no planes in the sky all night
long, and we stayed up late speculating what the hell was going on. We
continued camping/hiking and saw no TV or print media until we came out of
the woods later that week on Saturday. By then, we were seeing "summary"
type documentaries on the news channels. That's the first visual that we
witnessed of the events of the Tuesday before. I was truly glad that we
generally missed the panic and immediate anxiety.

John Heer
(former owner of 91 SE-R, 93 SE-R and 98 SE)