Looking for NX2k/SE-R in PNW

Erik Halvorson hammer_down at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:30:32 EST 2015

The last one that I looked at appeared promising from the description and pictures...  "Stock, unmolested Se-R that won't start"

When we arrived at the scene, the 9 out of 10 body had dents in nearly every panel.  Paint was peeling off the A pillars but wasn't missing in the pictures...  Hmmmm.  Had and "E" model front bumper that had been painted poorly and cut to make the lower opening bigger for some reason.  Stock SE-R wheels now missing and replaced but some 14" steelies.  Advertised coil overs non-existence are actually worn and weeping stock struts with what appears torch cut springs...  A quick inspection of the rear suspension verifies that the stock rear anti-sway bar is in place so this car should be a real SE-R though my mental alarm bell were ringing, "Run away!  Run Away!!!!  The 8 out of 10 interior had the mouse fur headliner hanging down about 6 or 7 inches...  though the seats, dash and carpet looked okay.  Stock Leather wheel replaced with a horrible plastic grip aftermarket unit.  The nice stock SE-R gearshift knob now replaced with those lovely shiny metal ones that are always guaranteed to burn a few layers of skin off your hand every time you get in the car to drive when it is parked in the scorching Eastern Washington desert sun.   Cut wires hanging out of the dash where Stereo used to reside.  Many vampire wire taps visible in the dash harness....  Rear package tray is missing and the steel support looks like it was worked over by a metal eating beaver.  Trunk has a mysterious 3/4 thick piece of plywood which is "deck screwed" to the back half of the trunk.  :^|  No spare tire, no tire tools, no trunk interior pieces.  Pop the hood and what should appear....   a stripped out engine bay that includes one SR20DE long block (with JDM intake manifold and Exhaust Mani) of unknown origin along with the transmission.  At least it has that, I am thinking.  No vacuum lines, Vacuum hose used for the lone fuel line that is attached to a 1/4 sized fuel filter not secured because bracket is MIA (floating in space).  The fuel return line is missing.  The down pipe on the exhaust looks a bit skewed in alignment with the JDM tube header so I leaned into the engine bay to get a closer look....  Hmmmm that looks suspiciously like a DET downpipe.  No intake snorkel, no Air Cleaner.  All A/C equipment stripped out.  Didn't the ad say it had AC and Cruise?  Oh, many electrical connections in the engine bay are cut off the harness.....  There were two of those gold plated Stereo power junction boxes deck screwed tot he wheel well.  No batter nor it's tray...  Many NEW and Improved electrical crimped on connection (by the same metal consuming beaver apparently) are littered about the engine bay, along with a couple roughly hacked holes in the substructure of the engine bay that were possible for the now missing DET intercooler piping (metal chewing beaver must have been upgraded to the metal burning version since these holes saw a judicious use of a cutting torch)....  I had had enough, just as my eager to learn automobile repair friend looks at me nodding approval asking me if he should go ahead and make an offer for the asking price....   Eh, no.