DIY motor mount bracket?

Jim Wright 06specv at themailshack.com
Thu Jun 20 10:13:56 CDT 2013

Sort of OT since I'm specifically looking to do this on a Toyota...

I'm having problems trying to quickly source a rear motor mount bracket, the piece that bolts to the engine that the actual mount mates to.  I'm looking at a pic of the failed bracket, and some drawings online of the parts, and it looks like I should just be able to bend a suitably sized chunk of metal to the right shape, drill holes in the right spots, and call it a day.

Is this a bad idea?  Has anyone done their own mount bracket like this before for anything?  This is for a track car, but the engine is from a Paseo and only does about 100hp.