engine support with the crossmember removed

David Pertuz d.pertuz at gmail.com
Thu May 23 08:25:17 CDT 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM, <wc701lists at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 5/22/2013 12:28 PM, David Pertuz wrote:
> > Hello OGs,
>
> Word, Homie  ;)
>

> If you have not done it before, be warned. Some of the bolts on the
> upper pan a a bitch to get to. I forget if they're 10mm or 12mm heads. I
> had to buy a socket with integral u-joint to get one or two. A good
> selection of wrenches and extensions is useful.

I've done it before, but the engine was on a stand so it was more
body-friendly. I've loosened almost all of the upper pan bolts, but I do
remember that there are those two little ones hidden behind the plate at
the bellhousing. The rest were not hard to get to. I've got a whole range
of sockets, extensions flex joints, Speedwrenches, etc. that I've collected
over the years.

Yikes! I haven't done the "ghetto engine rebuild" in like 15 years! I

> don't like to leave the engine hanging either; also stresses hoses and
> wiring; but I forget how I did it. Think I cut a 2x4 or some type of
> custom wood support to go under the engine or tranny for the job. Think
> I've heard of cutting wodd to go across the fenders, like on the lip
> under the hood, then using a chain or something to support it.

This reminded me of someone - I cannot quite remember who - who replaced
his rod bearings in the parking lot of the hotel at the Dallas convention
years ago.

> Ack!!! We're old enough we have to worry about our own bearings now a
> days. (and I'm sporting a four door Lexus, unfortunately with an
> automatic, tho' that may be changing.)

I understand - my vanilla motorized-transportationmobile is a beige 4-door
Accord with an automatic :) If I ever move to the suburbs (god help me) and
start wearing pleated khakis and polo shirts and join a country club, I'll
be a living cliche of some kind.

David