Anyone travelling from Vancouver BC to the Greater Seattle area in the near future?

James McColl james.mccoll at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:57:54 CDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Lawrence Weeks <lweeks at anabasis.net> wrote:

> So James, were you hiding this contraband piece of metal in a secret
> smuggling compartment? What tipped them off to your nefarious
> activities? Was there a snitch at Salt Fest?

No, Alex and I foolishly declared everything, not realizing that we were
over our allowed limit.  Alex had picked up some OEM Miata wheels and some
other stuff.

The Canada Customs guys were in their element, i.e. being bullies.  They
looked up Phoenix Imports on the internet, where Salt Fest was held that
year, and they were saying "your friend works on some expensive cars".  "I
guess the stuff in your car must worth at least the cost of your buddy's
Nissan, so maybe we should take it.  You think he's going to like that?
 You think he will?  Tough."

"Some quality welds on this downpipe.  It must be worth about $4000.  Maybe
you should pay taxes, duties and a fine on $4000.".

Interestingly, auto parts which are manufactured in Canada or the US (as
this DP was) are not subject to any taxes or duties.

To be released from their cells, I paid taxes, duties and a fine, and I was
red flagged for all future border crossings.

James