B13 tranny rebuild

Jason Puckett dbax_fan at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 01:25:35 CDT 2012

My 5th gear popout has gotten BAD!  I can't maintain speed and keep it in gear anymore, even trying to hold the shifter in place it just starts to grind.  I do a lot of freeway driving and 5000 rpm in 4th gear for miles gets tiring (not to mention expensive at the gas pump!).
My first thought is to get a tranny from a junk yard and build it with new parts (slowly as the budget allows) since everything in mine is 19 years old and has 123000 miles on it.  Has anyone ever replaced the B13 5th gear with a taller gear for better cruising mileage?  My dream would be a 6th gear but I've looked at a Spec-V 6 speed swap and it looks like a LOT of $ and a LOT of work.

My other option is to give up and sell it which would suck.

Any thoughts or advice?