Noise turning right

Jim Wright wrightj at apple.com
Tue Mar 6 10:38:35 CST 2012

On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:10 AM, George Roffe wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Can you be a little more descriptive of the noise? First thought goes to soft engine mount either causing some vibration (classic symptom for the classic) or that something is rubbing something it shoulding. This could include exhaust vibration, betls rubbing something or ??? Hard to guess without a better description. Look for some witness marks. I wonder if the engine could be rising up enough to contact the fire mat under the hood?

Hey Geo.  The noise is basically a loud howling, there's a definite rhythm from the speed of the tire rotation.  At first I thought I had hit a rumble strip between lanes, it wasn't until I hit another similar turn at similar speed that I heard the noise again, but not quite as loud.   I don't hit any hard rights like that to/from work, so I'm going to give another listen at lunch today, but it really sounds like it's coming from the front passenger wheel.

I had a full inspection done last summer at the dealer before the performance driving school I did, and there were no signs of mount issues, serpentine belt was replaced at that time too (what a bear to change those!).  I'll be doing a good visual inspection tonight and I'll try to get under it to see if anything jumps out.

On Mar 6, 2012, at 7:47 AM, Kieran A. Lavin wrote:

> Tire squeal from crappy tires?

Nope.  Tires are in great shape, about 9 months old, well under 10k miles.