de-hibernating the car

David Pertuz d.pertuz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:53:21 CST 2011

My SE-R has been sitting in the garage for three-and-a-bit years, waiting
for me to replace the rod bearings and do a bunch of other relatively minor
things. I'm finally getting started on this, as I miss driving it (it's
fun!) and I'd like to use it as a winter beater to spare my nice car most
of the nastiness. Some questions:

Is there a gas tank drain plug? Sorry, I haven't dug up my FSM yet. I don't
know how much gas is in there, but let's say half a tank. If I can just use
it and fill the rest of the tank with fresh gas, I'd rather do that. What's
y'all's experience been with 3yo gas?

I've done rod bearings before, when I put a fresh motor in my G20, but that
was ca. 2003. I remember it being relatively straightforward, though I will
be doing it with the engine in the car this time as I don't have a hoist
and engine stand. I'm sure I'll be cursing that. Anything easy to forget
that I might be forgetting? I do remember that hidden little bolt at the
front of the upper oil pan. Bearings should be in-and-out since they're rod
bearings and I don't have to adjust the crank end play or anything.

Is there a time expiration date on trans fluid? The car has Redline
MT90/MTL (I don't remember whichever is correct, but that's the one it's
got) that has been in there for years and years and I don't remember how
many miles (50k?) and it shifted like butter right up to when I stopped
driving the car. I have more on hand, but if there's no pressing reason to
change it I won't. I also wonder about this in connection to the ATF in my
Accord. It's a 2004 but only had 16k when I got it in the spring, and still
only has 24k on it now. Honda doesn't tell you to change it til at least
30k, but nothing is said about time. I can't think of any reason why either
fluid would need replacing solely on the basis of time.

Any other long-time-sitting revival things that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks, Greg, for getting me those bearings and for the
duh-why-didn't-I-think-of-that cheap and easy exhaust suggestion.

thanks,
David
Chicago