Cv joints

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 15 11:56:59 CDT 2011

On 7/15/2011 12:39 AM, RHS wrote:
> offshore companies machine the seal journal during rebuild. It will look fine but it will be undersized and the seals will no longer function. I had to replace both shafts AGAIN as well as both seals. $440 later it stopped leaking. Measure the journals when you remove your old shaft and measure the replacement shaft before you attpt to install it. You should never buy the cheap chineese shafts either. They are junk. Good luck to all.

A $8.95 Harbor Freight caliper is a useful and effective tool for this
measurement.  [dripping sarcasm]

I ALWAYS had trouble with the axle seals leaking on my B13s, whether I
swapped them, or the dealership's mechanics.  I just got in the habit of
ALWAYS putting new ones in during a swap.  And I've R&Red RS32V trannies
over 20 times.  Put grease on the contacting surfaces, and do not drag
the rough parts over the sensitive little labia of the seal.

=wayne