P10 Driver Axle

Jon Pennington cowboydren at gmail.com
Mon May 16 01:36:55 CDT 2011

I -think- I need a new axle. The struts on the G20t are shot, maybe
the balljoints, too, and then this happened:

After not driving the car for six months (turns out it was a broken
brake booster vac line that keep the car from idling), I drove the car
two miles with everything seeming fine. Except for the steering wheel
cocked slightly to the left, everything was great. On the return trip,
I made a left hand turn and heard a pop, followed by a crunching sound
accompanied by a squeak that got faster and slower with tire speed.
LOUD NOISES, the embarrassing kind. Carefully, at about 30 MPH, I
limped home.

When I pulled into the driveway, I eyeballed the driver tire to
something more than 5 degrees of camber. I'm used to about 2.5, which
is where the passenger sits, but the driver was a LOT more leaned in.
I jacked the car up, and I couldn't see anything broken or torn; the
axle nut is exactly where I left it four years ago. What are your
opinions, and where the hell do I get a cheap driver axle? RockAuto
just started carrying EMPI axles, but they're apparently out of left
manual LSD axles already. I don't care about long durability; this car
is getting patched up and sent to market.

--

Why, yes, I *can* cross-thread a ketchup bottle.