An Update on my NX1600

Frank Ewald frank_ewald at sympatico.ca
Sat May 7 06:48:52 CDT 2011

Many of you have been on the list far longer than I have, but years
back this list was my first venture into the world of auto forums.
Not that I hadn't lurked on other forums, but I joined and started
posting here because of the technical knowledge I saw. I have gained
much from participating here. From that first post over a decade ago
to now has been a number of changes, including seeing my youngest
daughter turn into a better track driver than I am. Quite a proud
moment. Well, after 19 years of owning my NX1600 and a huge amount of
upgrades to handling and almost every bolt on available to the
engine, I swapped in a GTi-R engine this winter. There are a few
alternatives that others have suggested, but when I started modifying
the car this was the engine I dreamed about. A year ago I found this
engine right in my home town. It's owner had imported it a decade ago
for a swap that never materialized, so I think I may have purchased
on of the most pristine GTi-R engines available. The exhaust manifold
heat cover bolts weren't even rusted! I just got the paperwork for
the transmission he had, I knew it was an Infiniti G20 but wasn't
sure of the year. It's a 99. I have a back up 99 also. I've put about
1500 km on the swap and it's so much fun. I loved my GA16; I'm
thrilled with the powerhouse I have now. It's all stock. Stock ECU.
Stock boost. FMIC. AASCO flywheel and Bully Stage 4 clutch. You can
see some Pics in the Nissan section of motoiq.com as some will want
to see the pics.
My update from soggy Canada - the snow is gone but there's been so
much rain it's still hard to call it spring.
Frank