Quickie TB Cleaning

Kieran A. Lavin kieran at kieranlavin.com
Tue Mar 8 09:28:26 CST 2011

I had to do the same thing when my water temp sensor (or maybe was it sender... it's so long ago now) went bad.  James McColl's mechanic/buddy was explaining to me when I was up at Shannonville once what the problem was.  At the time I had this problem where the car gave me trouble starting and, like you guys are describing, I had to floor it to keep the engine alive.  It got bad to the point where it would stall as I was driving it and, again, I'd have to floor it to start like it was carburated or something.  I explained the problem to James's mechanic/friend and he told me to swap the sensor (I'm pretty sure).  He explained that the sensor being bad fooled the engine into thinking it was -40 degrees or something stupid and it restricted the amount of air so you needed to open up the throttle to get more air.  It went something like that.  I doubt that's the problem Jon's having though.

To answer your question Jon, if I recall correctly ( and it makes the most sense) the smallest of the EGR tubes had the most blockage when I cleaned mine out although there wasn't much blockage overall AT ALL in mine and my car has had a perpetual check engine for EGR since mile 0.5 or so.  I think it was a small elbow that was about the width of a pencil between two rubber hoses and it had a little blockage but not much.  I can take a look at the car when I get home tonight and try to take a picture for you

kieran