should I go to the beige side?

Larry Martin bizznzman at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 01:16:34 CST 2011

Take the Honda and run if and only if your grandfather did proper servicing to it by time and not just mileage.  Cars that just sit worry me.

In hatchbacks there are a ton of PT Cruisers around that meet your carrying needs - I'm not recommending you understand, just reporting the news.  Early 2000's hatchback Acuras and Saabs might deserve a look too.

Used car prices have been climbing and some of these (newer) older cars are just a little too precious IMO when some improving new cars aren't a terrible reach if you can lay off the options.  I did see a 2004 SE-R Spec V that had 82K on it last week for $6500.  Might do just to drive around although I never have cared for the car or the 2.5.  Heck, if you like a challenge and doing maintenance yourself, I've seen earlier body (before the butt) BMW 740's under $7K with low 100K mileage.  If parts prices make you sweat that might not be the best idea.

Then there is the dark side.... Large Murican Cars like Crown Vics.  I think it might be cool to have one of those tanks, do a little suspension work, tires, a few mods.......and the bike would probably go in the trunk crossways.

But, like I said, take the Honda and run if you can live with the automatic.  Our beloved manuals are getting to be few and far between.  I saw a statistic somewhere that said that only about 5% of cars sold now have manuals.

Larry Martin
'92 SE-R still rolling almost daily, 204K miles