LeMons Tires

Grover Pickering groverpickering at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:27:31 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Khiem Dinh <spdracerut at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that you should get the cheapest tires possible that will last the
> distance.  Lemons is a 'unique' race in that it's not really about the
> racing.

After re-reading all of the reviews on Tire Rack (filtered by Track/AutoX),
I think we have a winner!
Yokohoma s.Drive.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&partnum=95VR5S&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They are the cheapest ($56), have good wet traction, are barely below the
RS2's for dry handling, and all of the reviews are very positive.

I'm not looking to win (ok I'd like to) as much as not suck.

In fact - here are the goals - in order.  And, each goal is a predecessor to
the next one.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Everyone gets to drive
 Everyone gets to drive 2 stints (one each day)
We complete the entire event
We are competitive
We are in the top 10
We somehow magically are near the top at the end of 12 hours and eek out a
win

I am actually way more interested in everyone having fun, driving, and
finishing than I am the actual finishing position.  That said, I am
competitive, and I will try to do well.  I'm just not going to worry about
it one way or the other.

To finish well (and meet the other goals), I hope we can stay out of
trouble, away from other cars, off the grass, and out of the penalty box.  I
think part of that will involve being invisible (not too fast, not too racy,
not too stupid, etc.)  Luckily, the SE-R is a good platform for this :)

Since this is my first LeMons I'm all ears on how to achieve this!

Grover