diagnosing a mystery current drain

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 18 12:27:58 CST 2008

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the defroster - it is a pretty big draw. I'm not sure I have what larry's saying straight, however - it pulls current all the time unless you disconnect it? That's the only way it makes sense to me, but I think larry was saying the opposite.

Any other big current hitters that aren't obvious?

The car has been troouble-free, but I did have a dodgy alternator harness plug for a while that would cause out-of-normal-range fluctuation in alternator output, seemingly always (whenever I measured it, anyway) on the high side only. During this time by tacho started acting up and has not been right since - it would usually read rpm/2 and sometimes jer around, now it tends to sit around idle. Got a new harness pigtail fom a yard and the charging system problem was solved, but the tacho remains.

How much current do the wipers draw? My wipers quit last winter due to an ice jam, and I traced the problem to a burnt-out motor, which I have not gotten around to replacing yet because I can't get the damn harness connector off.

I was really surprised at going from 11.8 to 11.1 overnight and then all the way to 3.4 by the time I got home from work. Sitting on a table, battery on its own was 12.0 last night after a charge and 11.8 this morning, so it pretty clearly seems to be something on the car.

David