LHS axle reinsertion

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 2 16:27:12 CST 2008

Replacing a front wheel bearing and the LHS axle have been at the top of
myG20t's maintenance to-do list for a while now. I put very, very little
mileage on the car now since I bike everywhere, so I can get away with
waiting.

I remember what  PITA reinserting the axle into the transmission was
when I replaced the engine on this car some years ago. What I cannot
remember is which is the most effective 'trick' - holding the snap ring
in place with some freezer-ed grease, or...what was the other one again?
I think it's some other one that seems to have had the most success.
Rotating the axle a little bit to get the snap ring at some magical
orientation, maybe.

Also, what are the appropriate size drifts for the stub axle and bearing
carrier? I will probably just take the upright to pep boys and have them
press in and out, but it's good to know all the same. i seem to remember
a certain ize socket works for one dimension. I'm pretty sure this is on
the forum somewhere but may not have time to dig it out.

Can anyone help my memory out? Not much chance (since I didn't do it
today) that I'll get this job done before I talke several trips soon,
but I might could bust it out.

thanks,
David