car transport for non-running cars

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 8 12:05:04 CDT 2008

I figgered there's a good chance some people here may have had to do this, so I thought I'd ask.

It's looking increasingly likely that I'll be moving to Chicago (from Detroit) soon, which means I've got some work on my hands moving my Fiat. At least it will be garaged after I move. It's been sitting for a while at a former co-worker's house in the N. 'burbs since it was towed up from Atlanta when my mom sold our old house. It doesn't run, though if I spent a weekend replacing fluids and fixing the elaking fuel line I could probably get it running. It's currently on grass, which doesn't make it easy to work on. I'd have to put loaner wheels/tires on at elast one end to roll it, as the tires are dry-rotted.

One option available to me is borrowing my former boss's trailer, borrowing a truck (assuming a borrowable one is available with trailer brake controls, etc.) and towing it to Chicago myself. This would cost me at least a few hundred dollars by the time all is done, and is a bigger PITA than I imagine.

Another option, in theory, is just hiring a transport company to move it. This may cost more, but would be a lot less hassle. But....dunno if it's really doable with the car where it is (it would have to be towed around from the back of the house to the street, at the least) and in the state it's in.

Do any of y'all have any suggestions for the practical transport of non-running vehicles?

thanks,
David