Help - Chip Burner/Consult Cable

Wayne wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 7 15:24:50 CST 2008

> I'm interested in this, but time is also a challenge. How tough was it
> to build and how much for all of the pieces? Instructions look detailed

Well, first off, pros of this approach:  You have a generic ECU to
serial converter that you can use with multiple Nissans, multiple
engines and your choice of software (les'se - I have CalumSult, Conzult,
nprobe, STTalk, Datascan and Zcontrol)

The parts were $15 or $20-ish.  Forget if that includes the plastic
enclosure box.  The printed circuit was $10.  I built two; took me about
2 hours to solder up the components (I'm slow).  More time to  hack up
the box to mount it and splice cables.  I can sell you parts for cost,
but there's no way I could build you one without charging a huge amount
for labor.

The quicker and probably more cost effective route:  Buy a Calum ECU
with the optional serial port.  I think he only charges $150-ish.  Con:
  only works in one car.  Pro:  you get a tuned and re-chipable ECU,
with PC connectivity in one inexpensive package.

    -Wayne