SR20 20th ?!?

George Roffe geo31 at suddenlink.net
Thu Feb 14 09:18:28 CST 2008

First of all, I still love this list. It's SO satisfying to see so many of the old timers still around. It's interesting that many of us have moved on in some fashion or another, but still love this car.

I miss my SE-R. I still have it, but when I was working on my 944 one day and saw a piece of rusted metal fall off the SE-R I realized that while I wanted to keep it for the rest of my life, it's entirely too far gone to justify restoring it. I'd have to reaplace half the coachwork. The 4 years it spent in the northeast before I moved to Houston was just too much damage to overcome. Still, I'm having a hard time either selling it or parting it (but hell, I'll entertain offers :-).

Like many, I've moved up market to find my fix. My E46 328i is a great car when everything is working great, but it's heavy and you can really feel it. It's also the most fragile *(&% car I've ever owned. In November I took some students around Texas World Speedway at about 70% to show them the line and the brakes cooked and a wheel bearing went bad. So much for German engineering. POS. From what I understand the E36 M3 is a worthy (if upmarket - $$$$) successor, but it too is old now.

As best I can tell there is nothing out there for a reasonable price to take up the place held by the SE-R. So, I'm giving up and hopefully next year going WAY up market with another German car. This one is supposed to be pretty rock solid for dependability. It had freakin' better be for something approaching 4x what I paid for the SE-R.

I miss my SE-R, but I'm old enough now and in a place where I don't want to mess around with road cars too much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love them still, but I'll keep my serious modifications now to race cars. I do miss my turbo G20 as well. That was one sweet ride and if someone hadn't run into me and totaled it for me, it would have been developed into a really awesome daily driver with just the right combination of power, handling, and ride. Crap. I miss that car.

I wish my SE-R didn't need so much metal replaced, a paint job, carpet, headliner....

George Roffe
Turd Rex