Maturity and signal-to-noise.

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Fri Dec 14 02:00:13 CST 2007

I'll try to make this brief, as I am up too late as it is. I wanted to
voice my experience on the subject of maturity and signal-to-noise ratio
of this mailing list vs. the sr20forum.

Tornado Performance Booster
Link:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2005683&TID=101&productId=2005683&catalogId=10101

     *   Designed to burn fuel cleaner, faster and more completely for
greater power and fuel economy
     * Increase gas mileage 7% to 24%, gain a 4- to 13-HP increase!
     * Stainless steel booster installs easily inside the air intake
hose of electronically fuel-injected vehicles
     * Creates a swirling motion forcing air around corners and bends
and through intakes
forum, and joined.

I heard bad things about the forum in my time on the mailing list. A lot
of complaint about signal-to-noise ratio being not what they prefer.
Honestly, it kept me from joining for a while.

On to the meat of the issue. The maturity level here is greater by far.
There are many, many factors at play (average age, the e-mail medium we
use, etc.) but that can't be argued. We are mature on this list.

The maturity level on the forums, while lower, is user dependent.
Obviously... There are many mature users, and many immature users. If
you can filter out (mentally) the immature users, you're left with a
pretty good bunch.

AIRTEX FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEMS
Link:
http://www.airtexproducts.com/Products/airtexfueldelive.html

Incorporating the latest technological advancements and adhering to a
design philosophy of OE or better performance, Airtex fuel system
products cover the full range of domestic and import:

• In-Tank Modular Reservoir Assemblies

• Electric Fuel Pumps

• Mechanical Fuel Pumps

That brings me nicely to the signal-to-noise ratio. Yes, it's pretty
high if you consider everything on the forum (every post, every user,
every section). With a little mental filtering and ability to stay away
from certain sectrions of the forum, all of a sudden you're left with a
really decent bunch of people, discussions, etc.

There is a point (and I'm not knocking the list here) where
traffic/content, even if a bit suspect, is better than no
traffic/content at all. I dunno... Maybe I'm going nowhere here.

All I know is what I've experienced. Tell me, was I wrong to go to the
forums to begin to buy up my factory GTi-R turbo parts?
Was I foolish when I found Shawn B's gigantic suspension thread (
http://www.sr20forum.com/driveline-transmission/170794-b13-b14-b15-suspension-information.html
) and decided (rightly so) that maybe racing coil-overs weren't the best
choice for me, and while the Hypercos are the greatest replacement
spring offered, the new Road Magnets are almost just as good, linear,
and less expensive?
Is there any way on the mailing list to keep a running
list/tally/summary of anything (similar to Shawn B's supension thread, a
project thread, or my engine management comparison thread)?
Is there an easy way to show pictures to others without having to
tediously click links?
How many of you know the true reason our transmissions fail above 275
HP, and how many of you learned it here? Has it even been spoken about?
I know why because of the forums. Do you?

American Racing "Black Burn" Wheels
Link:
http://www.americanracing.com/american_racing_wheels.asp

In the late '50s, the original five-spoke American Racing Torq Thrust ®
wheel was introduced. It is considered by many to be the most famous
drag and hot rod wheel of all time. Now, more than 50 years later,
American Racing continues its tradition of excellence in period correct
and custom wheels for hot rods, muscle cars and restoration applications.

I'm sorry, this is starting to sound like an attack on the list. This is
certainly not what I want to do. I like it here. I prefer it here. As do
the rest of us. I'm just saying, obviously the forum has it's good
aspects. Enough of them for me (at least) to join, become active, and
care enough about the service it provides/provided to worry about it
when something like this happens.

By the way, Larry has introduced a couple new features to the mailing
list. There will be minor advertizing interlazed seemlessly with all new
messages. Also quoting previous messages is no longer allowed.

Have a nice day.

-BenFenner
1994 Black SE-R (VEMS, going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (sunroof FTL)