Tire plugging

Wayne wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 29 08:03:07 CDT 2007

George Roffe wrote:
> Anybody here ever plug their own tire?
> I've got a screw in a tire and while I could have a shop plug it easily
> enough, I imagine it's not that hard to do and I've seen DIY kits at
> parts stores.  So, I was wondering about this....

Yeah, I've done it lots of times with those goo-covered cord plugs.
Just get the kit with the rasp and insertion tool.  On really tiny
punctures, you may need to enlarge the hole to patch it.  I picked up a
little finishing size brad in a tire and had to take a drill to the hole
before patching.

This supposedly invalidates the tire's speed rating;  but I was doing
this on all-season highway kinda tires that were only driven for normal
street use.

   -Wayne