Painting advice

JaretR1 at aol.com JaretR1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 10:03:27 CDT 2007

Once again, I have come to another crossroads with my beloved 91  SE-R.  Like
I mentioned, the next door neighbor decided to test the front  end stiffness
of his Skyline on the back bumper of my car.  Estimates are  in the $700 range
to fix it.  Of course if I get it fixed, then I have a  shiny new back bumper
and the rest of the car still looks like crap (which is  the case of my dad's
Escort that he already fixed).  15 years of Florida  sunshine and all the
waxing in the world couldn't save my paint.

I have an estimate from Maaco to paint the car for $150.  I cant even
imagine what they would do for $150 (that was in addition to getting the bumper
fixed).  Another body shop gave me an estimate of $1200 to do everything  which
puts me out of pocket about $500-600.  I am not sure of their work  though.
Lastly, a body shop I know does high quality work gave me an  estimate of $1650
for everything, which puts me out of pocket $950.

I have already spent $2k in the last year rebuilding the front end axles,
new clutch, hoses etc... I need to shore up the squeaking which I think is the
rear calipers being frozen and hopefully not the wheel bearings.  Then  there
is the headliner, and no AC.  I cant get rid of this car.  It  sits on the
side of my house under a car cover and I tool around with it on the  weekends.
It seems like spending $1650 to paint a car that's barely worth  that seems a
little ridiculous.  At the same time, how many Classic SE-Rs  are there still
on the streets that look good and original?  Should I risk  this other body
shop for $1200?  Or get this car looking the way it was  when I bought it new for
$1650.  Like I said, it sits under a car cover and  I just cant get rid of
it.  The interior of the car is also in good  shape.  Its more fun to drive than
my RSX...and I am just one of those  sentimental people who keep everything.
The only problem is the more money  I spend on this, the further away I will
be from buying a new Corvette (my other  dream).

That's enough rambling....I just need some advice and only the people on
this list might possibly be able to understand my dilemna, as mundane as it  is.

Thanks

Jaret