Will a RWD SR20 distributor fit a FWD engine?

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 19:55:37 CDT 2007

I'm still working out the details of my engine management project. I've
been having trouble figuring out the cam/crank angle sensor problem. The
ECU can not handle 360 pulses per revolution that the stock CAS disc
creates. There is a solution. New disc are created with less holes.

Here is an example of a stock disc (mine):

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/132464/1497/645195.jpg

Here is an example of the new style of disc:

http://www.vems.co.uk/VEMSTrigger/newdisk.jpg

The problem is, these discs are available either through the VEMS crowd,
or AEM for RWD SR20DET distributors only. The RWD discs are 50mm, where
the FWD discs are 54mm. If I could fit a RWD distributor on my engine,
then I will have solved my problem. I'm askign if anyone knows if the
distributor from a RWD engine will fit mine, and if so, are there any
RWD distributors that still have a rotor and actual distributor, as all
the new RWD units I see are mearly a CAS, and that is it.

This is what I mean:

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001081/Images/2/NS37%20Overall.jpg

That will not work for me, as I still need to use my stock ignition.
So... Am I in luck? Will a RWD unit fit my FWD engine?

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R (going VEMS, then turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)