Crank Angle Sensor type question

Jon turboser3006 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 8 23:50:11 CDT 2007

Ben,

Hall sensors use the Hall Effect, VR are variable reluctance, and the
optical is teeth chopping a light beam. They are three different sensor
types. If you are really interested you can look up Hall effect and
variable reluctance on Wikipedia, I'm sure they do a better job
explaining than me. The optical isn't Nissan specific, but it doesn't
seem to be as common as the others.

The angle sensor on the SR20 is 2 optical sensors in 1 (crank+cam) and
is in the distributor. It is very similar to the GM Opti-Spark. It has
360 pulses per cam revolution for 2 degrees of crank resolution (180
pulses). There is a second set of cam pulses that vary in pulse width
depending on what cylinder is up. You can tell when cylinder 1 is up by
counting crank pulses while the cam signal is high. I have some scope
caps of the trigger wheel at different rpms showing the different pulse
widths of the cam signal at different rpms etc. Email me privately if
you want me to send them to you. They are jpegs about 60k zipped.

If you are using a distributor or wasted spark ignition, you don't need
the cam signal, but you still need the crank signal. On the SR20 there
is no good way to ignore the cam signal... the crank signal is just a
stream of pulses with no way to tell TDC unless you look at the cam
signal too. Some other methods that don't need a cam signal have either
missing or added teeth on the crank wheel for TDC. If you wanted to get
creative with some digital logic, I'm sure you could make a 60-2
crank-only signal (popular GM) out of the Nissan signal.

Hope that helps,

Jon Davis