Avoid JGY like the PLAGUE!!

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 25 10:08:41 CDT 2007

At 09:57 AM 6/25/2007, you wrote:
>Don't mean to sound like an ass but [son] you must not get out much.
>I like to know which car sold has an aftermarket ECU, flash or
>otherwise, that costs less than $500 and gives you the same options
>and reliability of the JWT unit. Even the Vishnu flash for the Evo's
>costs $600. $500 for an ECU that has hardly any customers for it
>(face it, SR20 guys are a SMALL group) is a fantastic price. It
>should cost closer to $1000 given the market.

No, not really.  All Nissans were using the same ECU from around 1989
up the the OBD-II era, and even those weren't drastically
different.  The big step was modifying the thing to take a "chip" and
disassemble the code.  That effort can be amortized over all the
Nissans they were developing it for [Geo - give me some accounting
help here ;) ]

A little tuning for the SR20 (see my previous post about the
not-so-drastic changes your $600 buys) and no changes in 10
years?  It's just a cash cow at this point.  I know they were selling
the things clear back when the B13 was eligible for SCCA Showroom
Stock.  Anyone else remember Grimmer-Phillips?  They had the
"standard" JWT ECU  and the "Stealth" one with no external stickers
for SS Cheaters.

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / 93 NK2k / 90 Miata / '07 Scion tC