BAD stumble/hesitation

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Sun May 27 09:13:56 CDT 2007

At 01:39 AM 5/27/2007, Jason Puckett wrote:
>ok, so I've had this hesitation problem for a while in my '93.  Had
>to replace several things to get the old girl to pass
>emissions.  After replacing EGR/BPT it got somewhat better.  After
>having the dealer do a decarbon service, throttle body cleaning and
>me re-installing the stock intake the hesitation got MUCH worse.

Wow, no one thing stands out.  You can grab my scan of the Nissan TSB here:
http://www.xxiii.com/~wcox/car_stuff/Nissan_B13_Engine_Driveability_Diagnosis_TSB.pdf

The TSB seems to lean towards the MAF harness being faulty.  Do you
know anyone with an ECU to PC interface?  Data logging the ECU while
it happens would be very useful, and may pinpoint something.

I would:
* Remove the battery terminals and thoroughly clean with one of the
special wire brushes (even if they LOOK clean from outside).  Check
the ground cable attachment to the body and engine block.
* Check the MAF harness for damage.  It can rub against the brake
cylinder and piping and be cut.  93s weren't supposed to need the
re-ground, but you can measure the delta voltage and do it if
needed.  Ground to the side of the intake where all the other ECU
grounds are, NOT to the battery.
* Take off  the air intake tube and check it for cracks.  It could
have a crack that spreads open as the engine rocks around in its
mounts, allowing un-metered air in.

That's everything I can think of at the moment that would cause
intermittent problems...

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / 93 NK2k / 90 Miata / '07 Scion tC