High-Miler SR20, Synthetic Oil

Jon Pennington cowboydren at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:34:18 CDT 2006

Everybody's heard this story; an SE-R lover buys a vintage Classic
from a little old lady half-way across the country.  The car's cherry,
moderate miles, and he gets a great deal.  Little old lady didn't use
synthetic oil, though, and SE-R lover says, "Screw that.  Mobil-1 from
here on out..."  In no time at all, SE-R lover finds himself on the
side of the road with catastrophic oil starvation; .  Everybody's
heard the counter-story, too, from a guy who's "new" SE-R has twice
the miles, same service history, but survived the dino-to-synthetic
switch without a hiccup.

Where do the flakes of sludge originate?  If I take the cam oilers off
of my 190kMi motor, bathe them in some super-carcinogenic cleaner, and
put them back in, am I out of the woods?  Or does the sludge come from
deeper in the head or block?  Not knowing much about SR20 anatomy, I
don't even know where to start...

--

"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck
Norris? ...All of it."