Driver-side engine mount problems.

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Fri May 19 17:16:40 CDT 2006

I've asked this question a while back, but I'd like to ask it again now
that I have taken a good look at the situation today.

I have stripped the driver-side engine mount. I have a new bolt, but I
need to replace, or somehow deal with the other end of the equation. I
know I've stripped the receiving end (a nut wleded to the chassis I
assume). The question is, what do I do?
Drilling, tapping, and throwing in a helicoil is really my last option.
I'd rather grind off the nut, and weld on a new one. I have the nuts. I
have the welder.
Someone a while back told me this is what they'd done, or that it would
work. Someone also told me they had luck with the helicoil.
After taking the wheel off, and giving it a good look. It looks like
there is no way to get to that nut to grind it off, and weld on a new
one. It is inside where the bumper strut bolts to the car. Short of
cutting a large access hole, I don't see how it can be done.

Advice?

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R