15 years ago

Darren Calbero DarrenC at ampartners.com
Fri Mar 31 13:30:28 CST 2006

(give or take a few days) I bought my very first car.  I had been using
various family cars until then: '63 Triumph TR4A (Dad's toy I totaled in
'99); '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme; '70 Datsun 1600 Pick-up.

After the truck kept breaking down on me, I was told by my father to
either fix it right or get a new car.  I came home that same day with a
brand new '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R.  Luckily I had already been
researching cars to buy and was an avid car magazine reader.  My
original list of cars to look at for major consideration were: Eagle
Talon Tsi, Chevrolet Beretta GTZ, and Nissan Sentra SE-R/NX2000.
Thankfully I couldn't afford the first two and an earlier test drive (6
months previous) of a CRX HF resulted in an inability to be financed.

I found myself at the Nissan dealer, ready to buy the NX2000.  After a
lively test-drive at the dealers warehouse (where I swear I spotted the
often questioned '91 A/T SE-R), I was again told I could not be financed
for a car.  "Maybe you should  look at this car . . ."  said the
salesman.  It was a Sentra SE-R with Enkie rims.  After a few hours of
negotiating, I was able to get the car financed for 12.5K with only $400
down.  I told the dealership to remove the rims and put the stocks back
on.  Even though my car did not have a radio, A/C, ABS, leather steering
wheel and shifter boot, I was happy as can be with the windows down and
the sunroof open.

After 15 years, 181k island miles, a multitude of modifications, 4
accidents, hundreds of 1/4 mile wins at the local track against
opponents wondering WTF, 1 cheap paint job, meeting a lot of cool people
and making great friends with the same passion for their SR20, growing
rust spots, many rear seat testing sessions with my g/f turned wife, and
my son's first ride home from the hospital 13 months ago, I am still
enjoying the ride.

I can't imagine many cars that would have lasted this long and still
felt more than capable against many of today's cars than the SE-R
(slightly modded of course).  This car will never be owned by anyone
else but me or my son.  Guaranteed.

No Shift needed
Enjoy the Ride.
DC