Clutch losing adjustment

Ian Lyn ianshannon97 at msn.com
Mon Mar 20 15:14:00 CST 2006

I posted these on the forums, but no solid leads.

Anyone here just all of a sudden lose adjustment and have the cable maybe
stretch? My cable was good this afternoon. Parked the car for several hours.
Went to start it cold, moved it across the street, and once it was warmed up
tried to drive it, the pedal was to the floor. I know what has to be done,
cause the cable is loose. But the adjustment nut has not moved. Wierd. BTW, I
smelled what seemed to be clutch burning but I thought it was just exhaust
gas.
__________________

Then:

OK, looked at it today. Took the clutch cable out, relubed it, put another
brass reducer in it and I re adjusted the clutch cable. It is engaging right
off the floor. The clutch cable arm is right on the pressure plate and does
not seem to retract by itself unless I pull on the cable or pull the arm
manually. Other than the cable having lots of resistance ( I relubed the
cable), what else to look for? But isn't the arm supposed to bring the cable
back when it is released?
Again. with the clutch adjusted as much as it can be it is still engaging
right off the floor.

Then:
OK, tightened the cable as much as I could and the engagement was fine until
this afternoon. Then it lost the pedal again. I had to push the pedal into the
floor just to get it to go into gear w/o grinding. Also the cable is not going
back with the pedal. I can feel it loose off the clutch pedal hook. It will go
back on if I pull the arm or cable at the transmission. My brother guesses it
is the clutch arm that is bad and loose from the fork that pushes the t/o
bearing?

Any ideas?