worn steering and failing racks

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 6 05:54:04 CST 2006

Are there any inspections or tests that can be done to determine whether a
steering rack is on it s way out?

My SE-R has a front end that is sometimes a little vague-feeling. Replacing
the outer tie rod ends is on my to-do-soon list (I haven't done the
wiggle-pull on the front wheels since fall, but at 215k the car is bound to
feel better with them in any event. However, an occscional sort of
irregular wandering feeling makes me wonder about the rack (God, I hope
not!) The car has a fairly strong pull to the right, though it is a bit
inconsistent. It has been there for a while, too. I plan to do the CV boots
and tie rod ends (maybe a bearing of an inspection shows the need) and get
an alignment whenever I have a warmer fay on a weekend (unheated garage,
ick), but before or while I am in there I would like to be able to check
the rack, if possible.

Anything?

David