Help

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 21 13:02:46 CST 2006

At 08:50 AM 1/20/2006, Alfred Tirella wrote:
>My '92 SE-R was hit head on last Sunday while parked at a
>supermarket.  .... was wondering if any list members know of any
>articles written about the SE-R, extolling the collectable value and
>other positive traits.  I need ammunition to present to his insurance company.

Unfortunately, that stuff doesn't mean jack to an insurance
company.  The only gauge they really have is money.  And I kinda have
to agree with them to an extent -- if the vehicle is so collectable,
than shouldn't its market value reflect it?   For almost every car
(yes, even the Yugo!) there is an enthusiast!

Your only real evidence is actual market values, and receipts for any
recent repairs & upgrades (doubt they'll care about anything done
over 2 years ago.)   They will try to offer a low ball "book" value,
based on wholesale value to a car dealer.  Since dealers don't want
to mess with stuff over 100K miles or 8-ish years, especially if it
started life as econobox, that value will be close to zero.

Look on ebay, the various SR20 web sites, and local sales for actual
selling prices to bolster your argument.  If you can get some $$ out
of them, and there isn't frame damage, you can get aftermarket body
parts for 1/2 to 1/5 of Nissan's asking price.  I probably still have
a psngr side headlight assembly from my '92, if you wanna pay shipping.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata