For love of the car

John A. Heer jheer at walterhav.com
Tue Nov 1 13:28:21 CST 2005

Like many of you, I've been around here a long while.  I think I joined the
SE-R Mailing List in 1996, met some local SE-R pilots through the list in the
same year, and began modifying the SE-R in 1997 at about 75,000 miles.  Almost
everything I know about cars (which ain't much) came from the shared knowledge
of SE-R owners.

I bought my first SE-R (black, no sunroof) in March 1991.  My enthusiastic,
opinionated write-up of my beloved SE-R even made it into Autoweek's AutoFile
of the SE-R in August 1992 (which, until Ted Williams died, was my only claim
to fame).  Put "only" about 120,000 miles on it before a wreck and rust made
it irresponsible to continue driving it in August 2003.  So I bought my second
SE-R, a 1993 cherry with sunroof.  I transplanted all the go-fast goodies from
the first one, and I've maintained the love affair since then.  I don't plan
any more modifications to my current SE-R because it is at the limit of daily
drivability as it is.  My daily commute just went from a 25-minute train ride
to a 45-minute freeway drive, and I LOVE that time in the SE-R.  But I prefer
autocrossing it or pushing its limits somehow someway.

I tell my fiancie, Teri, all the time - "the SE-R is the greatest car ever
built.  Bar none."  The car has something to do with that title, but as Peter
said, the SE-R community is what made it so berry berry good to me.

Thanks.

John Heer
Cleveland, Ohio
93 SE-R not stock