Towing with a ~2000lb trailer?

Humberto Gonzalez hgonzalez7 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 2 03:10:52 CDT 2005

Peter,

By 2,000lbs trailer, do you mean the 4X8 unit?  If so, you should be just
fine.

Back in the summer of '99. I towed a Uhaul trailer with my '92 SE-R from
S.Texas to San Jose.  A 4X8 (Max load 1,220lbs/Empty weight 780lbs) was the
largest trailer Uhaul recommended for our cars, but the unit I reserved was
not available.  Being pressed for time, I took my chances with the next
larger size up, a 5X8 (Max load 1,800lbs/Empty weight 900lbs). I loaded the
trailer and my SE-R with so much stuff that there was only enough space for
me to drive and nothing else.  This was with the original clutch, suspension
and stock brakes.  My only performance mods at the time were a 3rd gen. HS
header and HS CAI.  Braking distances quadrupled which was not fun during
L.A.'s rush hour traffic, but the SE-R towed that oversized trailer through
the extreme heat of Arizona and up and down California's mountain passes. It
was an experience I definitely wouldn't want to repeat.

The AD22VF brakes I have now would have been appreciated back then. Power
wasn't an issue as the SR20 had plenty. Stick with the 4X8 or smaller and
you will be fine.

Humberto
aztecred92