Engine Noise

Raymond Kawski sr20de at e-rak.com
Fri Aug 26 07:18:06 CDT 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:17:06 -0500, Matt wrote

> Interesting...that sounds pretty plausible if the tensioner runs on
> oil pressure.

It doesn't really.

> I considered the valve lash adjusters as Ben
> suggested, but I've had that problem on other cars and this noise is
> significantly different (although thanks for the suggestion!).

If it lasts for a few seconds on startup and it sounds like a bucket of
bolts jiggling around then it's startup clatter.

> So how difficult is it to change the tensioner?  Should I change the
> chain while I'm at it (125,000 miles)?  Guess I need to dig out the
> Haynes manual.

It's pretty easy.  Pick up a Nissan FSM somewhere you can get them pretty
cheap.  But the startup clatter may or may not go away with swapping the
tensioner.  Some have gotten clatter after putting one in.

If it is indeed startup clatter ignore it.  It's not a big deal. :)

RK
--
Raymond A. Kawski