Steering Rack Boot replacement

Julian julian.hancock at amd.com
Fri Aug 12 08:49:49 CDT 2005

George Roffe wrote:
> Wayne Cox, wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wrote:

>> One of the steering rack dust boots came apart.  Anyone know what's
>> involved in replacing one?  Advance Auto has 'em cheap.

>> Hopefully I can just take off the tie-rod end and swap it out?  Or is
>> there more to it?

> That's pretty much it.

Wayne,

I've had much better luck with Nissan boots (~$18). Of the two different
aftermarket boots I've tried in the past both lasted less than 2 years.

You might need a hair dryer.  Once I had a hell of a time getting the
boot to slip over the end of the rack, odd since I didn't have any trouble
last time.  Well it was winter when I did it and that was enough to make
the rubber boot less elastic. Warmed it up and it popped right on.

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R
'02 WRX sport