Inner CV Joint Boot

Josh Foster j_foster at charter.net
Thu Jul 14 11:32:57 CDT 2005

List,

I'm looking for a little information on the inner CV joint on the driver's
side (92 SE-R). Over the weekend, a friend of mine (certified Acura Tech)
and I replaced the boots on both axles for my car. I had to drop the
transmission due to a failure of an ACT clutch, so it was easier to replace
the boots since they were dry-cracking, etc. This joint is the "tri-pod"

style, which I believe is only held in by the actual boot. I don't have my
FSM with me, but I believe that is correct. As I attempted to reinstall the
axle last night it was popping out of the joint (I could notice the wiggle).

The original boot and the replacement boot appeared very similar in length,
so it may be something else. I'm going to call the local dealer to see about
sourcing an OEM today, but I wanted to make sure that *most likely* the
problem - that the boot extends too much.

Thanks,

Josh on digest.

Josh Foster
'92 SE-R - daily driver (back to stock)
'92 NX2000 - VE'd, 5 spd conversion, & more
 <http://webpages.charter.net/j_foster/Index.htm>
http://webpages.charter.net/j_foster/Index.htm