Driver side axle

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 5 09:34:32 CDT 2005

At 09:53 AM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
>The driver's side axle is held in by a circlip, it may need to be pried
>(gently) from the transmission, and seating the new axle may require some
>(again, gentle) tapping.

Be careful there... I've had to beat the CRAP out of axles to get them to
seat in.  DO NOT pound directly on the threaded end... you will "mushroom"
the threads and not be able to get the nut on.  I usually thread the but
down till it's about 1/8" from flush, then use a wood block and BFH to seat
the axle.

>You don't have to separate the ball, joint.  Just disconnect the strut
>from the knuckle and you will be able to swing the knuckle down and away

Yup -- good advice.  I've never been able to free the ball joint without
damaging its boot.  There is some possibility of screwing up your alignment
with the strut method, however.  I always pry the things to maximum
negative camber before tightening, which is good for handling and gives you
a fairly repeatable spot to reassemble to [very handy when I was going
through clutches every 4K :( ]

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata